[TenTec] Orion tech specs

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion tech specs
From: w5yr@att.net (George, W5YR)
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 18:08:31 -0600
Steve,

Thanks for the reminder about the 870 - I had forgotten about it.

I think that the real achievement with the Pegasus was boiling down a DSP
transceiver into a package at a competitive price point and with adequate,
but not outstanding, performance such that the average ham would be
inclined to venture into the world of DSP radios. The steps taken to hold
the price point are fairly obvious, but the performance, again, is "good
enough" for most hamming and much better than other conventional rigs in
the same price range or even slightly higher. While the Pegasus could not
compete with the Kachina on performance, the Kachina proved too expensive
to complete its development and to continue to market. So, TT captured a
significant of the low-end DSP market.

Yaesu missed their brass ring completely with the MK V. Icom is improving
with each new generation of the PRO. Now, TenTec has its opportunity to
claim leadership. Let's hope they do well. As amateur operators we can only
benefit from these developments and the competition.

72/73/oo, George W5YR - the Yellow Rose of Texas
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13qe
Amateur Radio W5YR, in the 56th year and it just keeps getting better!
QRP-L 1373 NETXQRP 6 SOC 262 COG 8 FPQRP 404 TEN-X 11771
Icom IC-756PRO #02121  Kachina #91900556  IC-765 #02437

All outgoing email virus-checked by Norton Anti-Virus 2002