[TenTec] Omni 6+ zipper

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni 6+ zipper
From: feutz@wctc.net (Ron Feutz)
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:48:11 -0600
Gentlemen,

Last night my 1 yr old Omni 6+ developed a very annoying zipper.  I am
aware of this characteristic, and had noticed it at what are apparently
"normal" levels on the high bands, but as of last night, it is very
prominent on 160M.  It is loud enough to cover up weak signals as I slowly
tune.

Earlier in the night, I was comparing the Omni RX to  my FT990 on 75
meters.  I inadvertently transmitted on the 990 about 3 Khz from where the
Omni was tuned.  The antennas are separated by only a few feet, so I
obviously sent lots of RF into the Omni front end.
Other than the zipper, I noticed no other changes on the Omni RX.  After
that incident, I worked a very weak German station on 160, so apparently
there was no serious harm to the front end. Wolf,  DF2PY, is a regular qso
for  me on 160, and I was very weak at his place too, indicating that the
RX was working properly.

Any advice, or do I just pack it up and send it in?

Ron - WA9IRV