[TenTec] RX-340 and Noise Reduction

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RX-340 and Noise Reduction
From: aa5f@hiwaay.net (Jim)
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 21:34:19 -0600
Jim-

I have compared the Timewave 59+ and the JPS NIR 12 with TT's inboard
Omni VI+ DSP. (As far as I could tell, the difference between the 59+
and the 599zx are the controls.)

On CW, the Omni VI+'s seemed to do a better job of increasing the volume
of the desired signal than did the 59+. The 59+ does a creditable job of
lowering background noise without increasing the desired signal. So if I
turn on the 59+ and increase the volume, the units are comparable. I see
no reason to use the 59+ with the Omni VI+. (I use it with my Corsair
II.)

On SSB, the NIR 12 does a better job of reducing noise than either the
TT or the Timewave. But it introduces a time delay that makes sending CW
difficult. So I use it with my Omni VI+ on SSB only.

Neither unit is very expensive now, especially in comparison to what you
have already invested. It would be worth a try. Please keep us posted.

                        Jim  N4AL