[TenTec] PSK Interface

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] PSK Interface
From: RMcGraw@Blomand.Net (Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX)
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 17:18:18 -0600
For some time I have connected the sound card input and output direct to the
rear audio OUT and audio IN of my Omni VI+.  I adjust the level of the sound
card via the software, use the VOX to do the TR switching and with this
configuration, I've worked a lot of PSK-31.  With a TX output of some 35 to
45 watts I consistently get IMD reports of 30 dB or better.  The MIC level
control remains in the same position (about 9 o'clock) as used for SSB.
Processor MUST be off.

Interfaces are nice and in many cases are necessary especially where one
needs to go into the MIC input and needs to use the SPKR output of a
transceiver.    Also, if the AC power grounds are not common between the rig
and the computer a ground loop can cause lots of problems.  In this case
some type of interface or transformer isolation is needed.

I use a 705 mike so I don't have to worry about "room noises" being picked
up because the mike is off unless the PTT switch is active.  A word of
caution, since the computer sound card is connected to the input of the
transceiver, any musical sounds produced by the computer may be transmitted
by the transceiver.  I turn off all the Windows sounds because I don't like
to hear them in the first place.  Normally I use PTT for SSB work.

Happy PSK'in

73
Bob K4TAX