[TenTec] Re: RX-340 and Noise Reduction

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: RX-340 and Noise Reduction
From: n4py@earthlink.net (Carl Moreschi)
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 22:34:25 -0000
Jim,

In my 6 month experience with the RX340, I have never had a need
to lower the RF gain control.  On SSB and CW signals, the AGC
of the RX340, when set to the slow setting, is perfect.  If there are
no signals at all on a quiet band, I want all the gain I can get to hear the
weakest possible signal.  As soon as any signal is heard, the AGC
automatically adjust the gain to just the correct level.  Whether this
gain adjustment is done in DSP or analog, the end effect is it is
same.  This receiver's AGC works as well as any I have ever seen
and better than most.  I see no reason to use manual RF gain.

One comment that I have heard a lot that really bugs me is people
making the comment about what a quiet receiver a particular rig
might be.  My experience has been any receiver that is quiet is
deficient in total gain.  Any radio should be capable of producing
lots of white noise on a dead band if it has ample gain.  It's only
when it can't produce white noise that I suspect it is a problem.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
Franklinton, NC