[TenTec] Centaur

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Centaur
From: k9ot@mhtc.net (Paul DeWitte K9OT)
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 12:50:29 -0600
I have a Centaur that  was purchased fom Ten Tec about a year ago. When it
came I put it into a dummy load and couldnt get more than about 400 watts an
any band according to the meter in the amp. I was told that if you switch it
over to 220 volts it will put out more. It has sat unused since the initial
checkout. Yesterday I got it back out and switched it to 220 volts, same
output in to a dummy load. The grid current never gets up to 150 mills
before the plate current gets to 500-550 mills. All of this is into a dummy
load since it has never been on the air since purchase. My question is, is
this normal output for this amp? The book says 600w out so I thought at
least 500w would be reasonable, but not 400 max on any band. Soft tubes? 73
Paul k9ot