[TenTec] Orion, the direction?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion, the direction?
From: w5yr@att.net (George, W5YR)
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 22:55:37 -0600
For comparison, the Kachina 505DSP radio uses 16-bit AD/DA converters and
24-bit processing, while the Icom PRO uses 24-bit AD/DA converters and
32-bit processing, plus I suspect a considerably faster DSP processor. The
Kachina last IF is 40 KHz while the PRO is 36 KHz. I believe that the
Jupiter and Pegasus operate at 11.75 KHz.

The difference is readily apparent when you compare the DSP IF filter
shapes and ultimate rejection between the Kachina and the PRO and either of
them with the Icom crystal filters in the IC-765.

If the Orion expects to set new highs, I would think that it would have to
use at least 24-bit sampling and 32-bit processing. There isn't much
argument to be made for using more than 24 bits of data since that yields a
dynamic range of 144 db in addition to that of the preceding analog
circuitry and analog AGC. But 32-bit data would offer a whopping 192 db of
digital dynamic range alone which would just about guarantee that
overloading and digital clipping would not occur.

Rarely has a new amateur radio product produced as much speculation . . .

72/73/oo, George W5YR - the Yellow Rose of Texas
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13qe
Amateur Radio W5YR, in the 56th year and it just keeps getting better!
QRP-L 1373 NETXQRP 6 SOC 262 COG 8 FPQRP 404 TEN-X 11771 I-LINK 11735
Icom IC-756PRO #02121  Kachina #91900556  IC-765 #02437

All outgoing email virus-checked by Norton Anti-Virus 2002