[TenTec] OMNI VI DSP digs one out

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VI DSP digs one out
From: csturner@falcon.csc.calpoly.edu (Clark Savage Turner)
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 06:06:35 -0800 (PST)
Finally.  I have had my OMNI VI upgraded with the DSP, and I like it on CW
(not much for SSB) but never really noticed a big difference (other than
reduced ear fatigue) during QSO's.

Got up at 5 am and just thought I'd call CQ on 80 CW.  Something I've
never done before.  Heard a very weak, in the noise answer.  Kicked in a
filter, played with PBT, heard a little more.  Hit the NR button and it
came up just enough to be Q5 copy.  It was right on the edge where that
extra few db of noise reduction made all the difference to my ears.  Very
cool.  Of course, amortized over my many CW QSO's, it might be a bit
expensive for one JA QSL, but that is the fun of my hobby.

One other thing, anyone notice a little "blurp" behind the sidetone during
QSK with the OMNI VI?  It is not too awful, but not as sweet QSK as my
Corsair II (that is leaving my shack soon, gads....)  I have pulled the
sidetone tracking line and reduced the little click but there is still
this remnant blurp.  Maybe its just mine?

Another question while I am at it (playing with K2 and OMNI VI a lot
lately!) - anyone know of a product like copper tape with insulation on
one side?  I am still shielding and bypassing inside the OMNI VI to make
10 meters quieter and thought about after the fact shielding of most of
the unshielded wiring inside the compartment where the processors make all
the noise to begin with.  Wouldn't be hard to cover about 90 per cent and
ground it all to the aluminum frame.  In mine, it is the second chip
behind the battery that makes all the noise (according to my finger, when
I get near it, everything gets loud).  If I could find a way to isolate
that chip, I might have it done.

Having fun with ten tec.

Clark
WA3JPG