[TenTec] Re: Scout instability, revisionism, please stop

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Scout instability, revisionism, please stop
From: w9ac@arrl.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 10:35:58 -0500
> If Jack Burchill of TT had been on the air with a prototype with a problem
> signal I doubt the rig would ever have gone into production either.

Do you really mean Jack Burchfield?

I can't speak for the Scout's mobile frequency stability but my Scout's
fixed-station instability was totally manageable once I figured out how to
manipulate the PTO.  What was required for me was to tune to the frequency
and overshoot it just a bit then adjust the PTO slightly in the other
direction to get on frequency.  It took no more time than adjusting my
Triton IV's PTO.  I suspect that building in more PTO stability and reducing
the backlash is something that many hams can accomplish, especially if they
are skilled with other Ten-Tec PTO rebuilds.

Someone recently discussed the Scout's audible CPU noise on receive.  There
was a factory fix which suppressed the noise to a level that was below my
noise floor.

Still looking for a late model, SMT version Scout in mint condx.  Please
state price and options.

73,

-Paul, W9AC