[TenTec] OMNI 6+ cross-mode split problems

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI 6+ cross-mode split problems
From: n4zn@email.ro (N4ZN -)
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 20:26:58 +0200
I've got a query for the group.
The other day I was running a split of abt 250 kHz on my Omni 6+ Omni 6+. I am
using a single antenna for all the bands that is tunable via a remote control
from the shack. So the antenna is resonant on the TX freq, but not on the RX
freq. I noticed that the protection circuit on my amplifier was tripping out
every time I stopped transmitting. I was transmitting on, or abt 7.250 / SSB,
and recieving on, or abt 7.050 / CW.

So I broke out an external meter, which just happened to have a "peak hold"
feature. This meter seems to be telling me that when I stop transmitting, the
rig actually switches to the RX freq before it unkeys... thus causing an SWR
spike.

I did call T*T support, but was unable to get a satisfactory response. The tech
did say there are delays when splitting that way, but was unable to get him to
understand/explain whether or not the rig actually does transmit for a brief
period on the RX freq. Accordng to my observations, it does. Guess I was just
looking for an affirmation of this anomily.

anyone on this list have a similar experience, or can some of you see if you
can get the same results as I?

You can either reply to the group, or direct to me. But I have a feeling others
may be interested in the outcome.

73 & TIA,
Mike/N4ZN

Do you want a free e-mail for life ? Get it at http://www.email.ro/