[TenTec] Tuner in Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Tuner in Orion
From: k9mi@arrl.net (Mike Brown)
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 15:24:38 -0500
> Mike,
>
> I have no problem whatsoever with people using tuners; I use one
> occasionally when I get on 12/17/30.
>
> I do, however, have concerns when the inclusion of a tuner or even it's
> availability as an installed option causes the cost of the radio to go up.
>
> It seems to me that with the current state of external automatic tuners,
> they would satisfy 99 percent of the user's tuner needs when running
> barefoot.  It doesn't raise the cost of the radio to all the radio buyers.
>

> 73,
> dale, kg5u

I aggree Dale. Personally, I'm not "Swr Phobic" as some folks think a
radio will die if it doesn't see 50 ohms. I had forgetten that Ten
Tec rigs don't have that big power fold back like the JA rigs do when
they see a little swr, and that the finals in a Ten Tec are probably
more rugged then some of the JA rigs.

I'm not a Ten Tec owner at this point in the game, but maybe with
the introduction of the Orion, I can splurge and pick up a good
used Omni 6 next year at tax refund time.

73 - Mike K9MI