[TenTec] KB7OEX: a big plus favoring ORION

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] KB7OEX: a big plus favoring ORION
From: n2wf@comcast.net (Bill Nicolson)
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 10:37:27 -0500
I really think it depends on how effecient and at what level your source
code is written in.
At work we have a computer control system that uses a old Zilog Z8000 16-bit
micro processor
and the source code is written in assembly language.
1. It handles over a hundred PID temperature control loops.
2.  Multiple profile control loops of the plastic material being extruded,
which involve controlling (1) or more
flexible slot die lips using multiple scanning beta gauges (usually Kr-85)
as the measuring tools.
3. Multiple speed and pressure control loops.
All the while sending the data to the Graphics Controller Chip to display
about 10 pages of color graphics
including some 3D displays if the material being produced.
Another Engineering group needed a high level P3 computer just to handle the
graphics user interface using an off the shelf
SCADA (supervisory control and data acquisition) software package.

Why all this fixation on color??? I could see if it bought you something. If
a monochrome display had better
resolution and was easier to see in the dark/sunlight what's the problem. I
would not buy a color Palm computer
just to have color. Its not like I am going to be watching video on my Orion
between contests. ;>)

Of course this is just my opinion !!

73 de Bill N2WF