[TenTec] It's "Only" 1.7 dB

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] It's "Only" 1.7 dB
From: dhhdeh@concentric.net (David Hammond)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 16:36:12 -0500
Hi Everyone,

I am a stickler on points like this. Consistency lends credibility.
Forget the actual benefit or lack thereof from having 100 vs. 150 watts.

If the point of the Orion is to create a transceiver that bests all the
current offerings of Japan and the top HF offerings from Japan have 150-200
watts out and internal tuner capability then isn't the Orion falling short
before it gets off of the drawing board?

You simply a cannot have it both ways.

No one is more a Ten Tec fan then I, but pure receiver performance alone
will not win over the multitudes of 1000MP MkV and Pro II users especially
with the rumored new super rigs coming from Yaesu and Icom. Read some of the
other reflectors to see what those members discuss and expect. Do I agree,
NO,  but its what the marketplace demands for top dollar spent.

Higher barefoot power may not be technically warranted but high-end Xcvr
users EXPECT this performance.

IMO without them large portions of prospective buyers will discount the
Orion before they ever read the engineering specs.

Its a tough thing to balance good engineering design and good marketing and
then hit the required price points in production for profitability.

73 de N1LQ-Dave