[TenTec] Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion
From: Dan.Newby@cpspet.com (Dan.Newby@cpspet.com)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 15:33:17 -0500
If you have an amp that runs say 1200 watts output with approximately 100
watts drive, then that extra 50 watts should  be enough to get 1500 watts
out.
If the amp stayed perfectly linear, which it won't, in this example it
would take at least 125 watts drive to get 1500 out. In reality, I am sure
it would be a little more than that. These people, that are requesting 150
watts out of the Orion, probably want to hit 1500 out of their amp.

Most importantly, 150 watts out is what they want. It is no less important
than someone who wants a color display rather than a green one. Or maybe a
gray front panel instead of black.  That is just something important to
them. Nothing that they should be questioned about anymore than a request
for any other feature.

Dan

                      Caitlyn Martin

                      <caitlynmaire@ear        To:       "Gord Hamilton ve7on"
<ghamilto@direct.ca>
                      thlink.net>              cc:       TenTec@contesting.com

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: [TenTec] Orion

                      tentec-admin@cont

                      esting.com

                      03/18/2002 11:23

                      AM

On Sun, 17 Mar 2002 10:43:02 -0800
"Gord Hamilton ve7on" <ghamilto@direct.ca> wrote:

> I feel Ten-Tec is on the right track with their looks and performance
> goals but please make the radio deliver 150 watts to the antenna.  If
> the rig is only 100 watts I might buy one.  If it is 150 watts I WILL
> buy one.

The 50% increase in power representes all of about 1.4db, or a barely
noticable increase in signal strength.  It won't even show up on an
S-meter.  Why is the extra 50 watts so important?  I really don't get
it.

73,
Caity
KU4QD