[TenTec] RE: Omni V Fm'ing

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RE: Omni V Fm'ing
From: RMcGraw@Blomand.Net (Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX)
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 19:57:32 -0600
Typically if the power supply is placed adjacent to the left side of the
Omni, the complaint of hum on the audio is common.  Moving the PSU to the
right and as far as the cable will allow will and does correct the problem.
You do have a solid and separate ground from the PSU to the Omni don't you?

Now as to FM'ing, is this frequency swing related to any specific event or
signal?  If it follows the audio, typical of SSB, then it is more likely to
be caused by power supply voltage changes at or in the radio, not
necessarily observed in the PSU.  I've found that the Molex connector used
to connect DC from the PSU to the Omni is prone to oxidation.  Simply
un-plugging the cable and re-inserting it may and often does correct the
problem.  One other point to check is the screw terminals on the filter cap
in the PSU.  Loosen them and re-tighten them.  In mine, I also soldered the
wire in the terminal lug crimp.  I've had enough problems with crimp
connectors over the years in various applications that I subscribe to the
method that "the crimp is the mechanical connection and the solder is the
electrical connection".  This always works!

Also, one may wish to exercise all the plug-on connectors/cables in the PSU
and the fuse holder.   At the same time, I don't subscribe to the squirt and
spray stuff.

73
Bob K4TAX