[TenTec] Omni V sensitive components.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni V sensitive components.
From: rohre@arlut.utexas.edu (Stuart Rohre)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 18:39:04 -0600
Every Yaecomwood I know about has either part plastic, or all aluminum
covers as well.
To their credit, Ten Tec T Kits have real live steel cabinets, and are
magnetically superior to other kits in that regard.
I have no info on the Orion case.   Having an aluminum case is
characteristic of most high quality Tektronix or Hewlett Packard instruments
before plastics became the vogue.   It is just that no electronic instrument
or transceiver should be expected to sit beside a power supply that has
transformers without some spacing or attention to where the magnetic fields
are located.

It is simple to look inside your power supply, see where the main
transformer is located and situate the supply so that it is as far from the
rig as practical.  Someone pointed out they had an external speaker between
rig and power supply.

That is fine, as long as the magnetic fields of the transformers do not
intercept the speaker coil, and introduce low level hum.  My power supplies
are either under the desk, or on a side table a couple feet from rigs, and I
use close twisted fused power leads from supply to each rig.
73,
Stuart K5KVH