[TenTec] Orion RF hardening (was Is Jupiter better...)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion RF hardening (was Is Jupiter better...)
From: k8vt@ameritech.net (Carter Grabarczyk)
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 09:54:26 -0500
Stuart Rohre wrote:

> Carter,
> You should not have radiation from the 450 ohm line if the line and antenna
> are truly balanced.

In theory, you are absolutely right; however, in practice, (unless you
are very lucky), it is almost never balanced. One end is closer to a
tree or a fence or a roof or whatever. There is darned little isotropic
"free space" in the real world (or at least on my covenant and zoning
restricted city lot!)

> Is your antenna an end fed Zepp?

No, it's a 132 foot dipole 25 feet off the ground, fed with 450 ohm
window line.

> Is the antenna
> clear of other conductors and well away from the shack?

Unfortunately not-see the first point above

I don't want to beat this topic to death, but the bottom line is that,
over the years, many others on the
reflector (not just me), have commented on TTs RF susceptibility. Radios
of other manufacture have worked in the SAME RF environment where my
Omni VI+ failed. Because of this, the sole point I am trying to make is
that TT has a golden opportunity to address this issue now and  make the
Orion really bulletproof, before full production starts.

73/Carter/K8VT