[TenTec] My own little "quiet test"

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] My own little "quiet test"
From: w5yr@att.net (George, W5YR)
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 00:24:02 -0600
Thanks for the quotes, Tim. Just the added thought that the filters, both
IF and audio, on the K2 are not all that sharp compared to the PRO DSP
filters. Also, the K2 has quite a noticeable roll-off at both ends of the
audio spectrum. The PRO is flat from about 80 Hz to 3600 Hz. So, it has the
high-frequency response required to make noise have that crisp, brittle
"percussive" sound while the K2 filters out the highs and the lows and
makes it sound "softer." Now, that is fine if you just want to listen to
noise, but where the rubber meets the road on HF is not in dealing so much
with noise itself as it is in dealing with how the filtering reacts to the
noise when it is concurrently dealing with nearby strong signals. There the
inherent superiority of the DSP near-ideal filters comes into play.

I agree with you that it is remarkable that a rig as complex as the PRO can
be as relatively quiet as it is. When comparing a K2 against my PRO I
always found signals easier to copy (CW) on the PRO, especially with any
degree of QRM present regardless of signal strength.

73/72/oo, George W5YR - the Yellow Rose of Texas
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13qe
Amateur Radio W5YR, in the 56th year and it just keeps getting better!
QRP-L 1373 NETXQRP 6 SOC 262 COG 8 FPQRP 404 TEN-X 11771 I-LINK 11735
Icom IC-756PRO #02121  Kachina 505 DSP  #91900556  Icom IC-765 #02437

All outgoing email virus-checked by Norton Anti-Virus 2002