[TenTec] OMNI V AGC audio hiss modification info

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI V AGC audio hiss modification info
From: MW0CDO" <gw7lhi@hotmail.com (MW0CDO)
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 11:19:27 +0100
Well, that's good news Al.

I'll do mine at the weekend, as I have to get a 27uH coil for the mod.

Subjectively, how much/what improvement do you hear?

I'm afraid I know nothing about a noise blanker mod, but can tell you that
the NB on the FT-102 is a whole lot more effective on fast narrow noise than
the TT one is. For example, someone in my street has one of those auto
ignition gas boilers which seems to try for about 30 seconds before the main
jet lights. The FT-102 NB can remove all traces of that interference, yet
the TT NB doesn't do much at all.

Perhaps someone in the group can email Paul Clinton at TT, he's probably
sick of reading my emails!

How about OMNI VI keypad button sets to allow OMNI V owners to upgrade to
Carl N4PY's software? Apparently, once Paul at TT figured out what people
were doing, he blocked any further supply. Maybe there will be a re-think
now that the OMNI VI is "old hat"

Still haven't had any time to investigate the FM'ing problem further yet..
the weekend maybe!

Just one more quick comment.
I had to repair a Kenwood TS930 yesterday for a friend, and took the
opportunity to compare RX with the OMNI V.
The OMNI is quieter, weak signals are easier to copy on it.
But you wouldn't miss a signal with the 930 either...

Just a quick A / B test using the standard 2.4kHz filters.

Paul MW0CDO