[TenTec] BNC vs UHF connectors for HF 100w use

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] BNC vs UHF connectors for HF 100w use
From: geraldj@isunet.net (Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, electrical engineer)
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 20:48:19 -0500
Yes the UHF has a fat center pin, but it has a rotten ground connection.
I burned one black in a 2m mobile with only 18 watts many years ago. The
ground connection is only as good as the ring is tight.

At VHF type Ns handle up about a KW, but if the line isn't flat at 432
the coax begins to melt with just a little more power.

I use type C for my patch panel because it has a sturdier center pin,
but while the outer connection is larger than N its made of thinner
metal. The 7/16 is probably the best available practical connector for
amateur power limits through a few GHz. It has sturdy connections for
both center pin and ground.

The HN has a sturdy ground connection but a thin center pin.

73, Jerry, K0CQ
--
Entire content copyright Dr. Gerald N. Johnson. Reproduction by
permission only.