[TenTec] Followup - Jupiter Overheating

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Followup - Jupiter Overheating
From: bharen@bellsouth.net (Brian Haren)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 09:50:50 -0400
All,

This is a follow-up to my original post of almost two weeks ago regarding my
new Jupiter overheating.  After contacting TT last Monday (8 April) they
advised me to send the radio back for repair.  I sent the radio off on
Tuesday, got an email from TT on Thursday confirming receipt and that it was
already on the bench.  Got word on Friday that the problem was indeed a
'leaky transistor', that it had been replaced, the radio checked to make
sure all other functions were OK, and that it was on it's way back to me.
It arrived yesterday, spent 18 hours on continuous receive as a check and
everything seems OK.

A few points:

1. UPS had the radio longer than TT did.  The fact that the radio went on
the bench the day it arrived at TT, and the fact that both Scott and the
service department kept me updated on the status of the repair, was both
impressive and comforting.  TT even offered to reimburse me for my shipping
charges.

2. From the time the radio 'broke' (early April) to the time I got it back
yesterday, TT released a firmware update and Carl, N4PY, released an update
of his rig control software.  I'm still waiting for Icom to release an
update to my 2 year old HF rig!  This is one of the big reasons I bought
this radio.

3. Since the radio was virtually new when it went down, I'm still in the
Jupiter learning/playing mode.  The jury is still out on my ultimate
satisfaction (I gotta' say, the fact that a nearly new radio had to be
shipped back to the factory to be repaired dented my confidence in TT a bit,
but I do understand these things happen).  While the Jupiter is definitely a
keeper, I'm not yet ready to sing it's unqualified praises.

4. What's a 'leaky transistor'?  Sorry if this seems like a dumb question,
but I'm a geographer, not an electrical engineer!

73!
Brian
W8BYH