[TenTec] 526 and other subjects

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 526 and other subjects
From: AC5E@aol.com (AC5E@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 09:15:56 EDT
  The 526 is exactly what it's intended to be. An excellent entry level all
mode 6/2 M rig. I have one, along with assorted IC and FT's. I use it daily,
and an FT736 has been retired to the same shelf as several other rigs from
the same makers. IN THIS DEEP FRINGE AREA, where you often cannot buy a
signal from further away than the nearest repeater....

    The 6n2 holds its own on recieve and transmit, albeit with somewhat fewer
bells and whistles and somewhat less power out; in a much smaller package and
a lot more wallet friendly price point. For my money it's an excellent buy
and if I needed another VHF rig I would be talking to Scott or Stan.

Since variety is a major impetus to a successful marketing strategy and new
products are the life of a company, I hope (pray?) that Dollywood has a
UHF/VHF version of the Jupiter or even the Orion in the back of their minds.
That would put the assorted FTs and ICs I already own on the table at the
next hamfest.

   After the Orion hits the market, I hope our radio heroes will seriously
consider a stripped down version to hit the 2 K to 2.2 K price point. A dual
recieve Jupiter if you will. That would position TT HF rigs at $1200,  $2200,
and $3300 price points. Those price points do not compete with each other,
they compliment each other.

    Of course, since I am not selling the three Omni VI's, the Paragons, the
Delta, the Scout, or the Jupiter I already own - I will have to expand my
keeper shelves or expand my shacks. Or both.

    And - off topic or not - I will have to say that the percentage of new
hams who opeate CW is the highest I can remember since I was first licensed.
Some of our 5 WPM Generals and Extras have turned out to be keymen of the
first water.

  73  Pete Allen  AC5E