[TenTec] Jupiter Bashing/eHam Reviews

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Jupiter Bashing/eHam Reviews
From: wa3fiy@radioadv.com (WA3FIY)
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 15:59:24 -0400
On 29 Apr 2002 at 8:44, Tom Rauch wrote:

> If we stay away from subjective personal opinions and use measured
> data to compare performance, most of the problems vanish.
>
> Once we get beyond facts and into opinions, much or most of the
> information is meaningless. This is true for everything from antennas
> to radios.

Although I agree in part, there are some things about a radio,
or any other piece of equipment for that matter, that we just
cannot put into meaningful, measurable specs.  The fianl test
for a radio is putting it to use in our own particular mission(s)
and then evaluating how it does.

Years ago I worked at Sherwood Labs in Chicago.  A very
interesting place I must say but that's material for a different
reflector.  We were working on our first solid state amplifier,
the S-9000.  Measured performance on the prototype was
superior in every way to the tube amps we were producing at
the time as well as our MacIntosh "lab standard" amp.
Yet.......in A/B listening tests, the '9000 just did not sound as
good as the tube amps on certain musical passages.  I left the
company before the '9000 went into production so I don't
know the outcome of the matter.  But in that case, everyone
involved in the project agreed that measurements did not tell
the whole story.

It seems to me that both measured and subjective
observations are useful in evaluating a radio, IF the subjective
observations are honest and qualified.  I will say again that Ten
Tec helps us a great deal by allowing us to use a radio for a
while and then returning it if it does not live up to our
expectations.  I do not know how anyone can complain about
Ten Tec stuff if they bought it from the factory with an offer
like that.

-73-

-Lee-    Very pleased user of a Pegaus and Jupiter