[TenTec] Herc II power supply question; Corsair I AGC

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Herc II power supply question; Corsair I AGC
From: n4lq@iglou.com (n4lq@iglou.com)
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 13:04:02 -0400
Allan:
I have a Herc II here with the matching power supply. The supply has a
sensor across the output which detects when you kick the power switch of
your Herc to the on position. As I recall, there is a low "phantom"
voltage across the output and when a load is detected, current begins to
flow in the sensor circuit which in turn, activates the supply. Turning
the Herc's power switch to the off position disconnects the amps dc
input. Current drain ceases and the power supply shuts down. All of this
eliminated the need for extra control wires.

I could be all wet about this but if I were you, I would look into this
matter before connecting a battery across that supply. It sounds like a
prescription for trouble to me.

As for AGC mods. About all you can do is play around with decay times by
changing capacitors in the timing circuit. Using an external DSP unit
with it's own agc system is a big bonus. MFJ makes an affordable unit
with internal agc. The DSP will not only protect your ears but clean up
the sidetone.
Steve N4LQ