[TenTec] Re: Dayton news: Orion concern

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Dayton news: Orion concern
From: jimr.reid@verizon.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 08:49:17 -1000
Couple of comments made today about the Orion:

> Considering the poor performance of the competitors rigs that
> sell like hot cakes due to the packaging and marketing,
> TT needs to pay attention on this one.

and,

>>  Having said that, if the radio outperforms everything else on
>>  the market, then it will be another winner from TT.

Well,  I have been disappointed with the rigs appearance
since the Charlotte photos have been posted: way too
large of logo letters,  bland appearing CRT/whatever display,
and not sure about the operating control placements.

Now,  I am spoiled by my RX-340,  which is just about the
most attractive rcvr I have ever had,  and I have owned a
few in my 51+ years on the bands.  And,  yes,  it is "only"
a rcvr and does cost several hundred dollars more than the
expected Orion price.  However,  I doubt if the excellent
"S" meter of the 340,  and the 4 color paint silk-screen of the
front panel account for all of that price delta!  The 340 has no
chrome,  large letter logo display either,  just "painted on" small letter
TEN-TEC using what appears to be the exact same paint/color
as the logo on my Corsair II.  BTW,  the "dot" on the 340
"S"  meter is also black,  just as it is on the meter of
the Corsair II.

Here is a photo of the RX-340:

http://www.tentec.com/rx340.htm

vs.  the "intended" Orion appearance:

http://www.tentec.com/TT565.htm

Note that the Omni VI+ also had the chrome TT
logo,  but with "red" dot:

http://www.tentec.com/TT564.htm

and the paint color scheme of the Omni appears to be
the same colors as used on the RX-340.

Well,  a lot of words about appearance;  and I agree
that appearance is quite important to buyers.

However,  as has been said,  whether those of us who
really dig for performance will be attracted to the Orion,
as it now seems it will  "look" regardless,  IF it has
absolutely  superb performance specs and actual band
performance superiority over all possible competition.
Performance at least equal to what W8JI has achieved
for dynamic range/intermod/mds/etc.  with his careful mods
to the Drake R4C's for example,

http://www.w8ji.com/Receivers/4786

Note the great measured performance of the "heavy mod"
R4C at the bottom of the spec table vs.  several of the
other rigs Tom measured.  I will order an Orion in a moment
IF the specs approach what Tom reached with his "heavy mod"
to the R4C!!  Note,  everything that Ten Tec has revealed
about the transmitter side of the Orion is great;  the rcvr
side will be the proof of achievement to me.

Many of us will be watching  what does come out next Fall!

73,  Jim  KH7M