[TenTec] 307 Speaker Update

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 307 Speaker Update
From: res0wsci@verizon.net (William F. Mansey; WA2PVK)
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 23:00:12 -0400
Hello all,
    I have had additional time to check out the new 307 speaker.  I did some
SWL and BC band listening as well as USB on 20 and 17.  I also (but not for
long!) have an Icom IC-746 and did some comparisons as well. (USB ONLY)
There was NO comparison!  It was not even close!  The Jupiter/307
combination was so much better that I was amazed.  (the 746 is connected to
the RCA speaker I mentioned in a previous post - and which had been
connected to the Jupiter)
    I tuned in various stations that were either DX, local, weak, and strong
on both rigs.  I have two wire antenna(e) that resulted in very similar
signal strengths on both rigs.  The audio quality was far superior with the
Jupiter/307.  The 746 heard the same stations BUT there were also various
noises that were not apparent with the Jupiter.
    I HAD planned on trading in the Jupiter towards an Orion and keeping the
IC-746 as a secondary rig.  Now I am seriously thinking of selling the 746
and keeping the Jupiter!  The only "problem" being that I would then be
"forced" to buy another 307(J) to match the Jupiter!!!!   I think that a
station equipped with an Orion AND a Jupiter should be relatively easy to
live with!   Anyone interested in a 746?  I realize that it is not a T-T but
it is a good rig anyway.
    73;  Bill - WA2PVK

---