[TenTec] Dayton-one more view

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Dayton-one more view
From: randas@mindspring.com (randas@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 18:05:24 -0400
Hello my friends

Over all I had a great time at Dayton. That being said I do have a few =
comments in reference to Ten Tecs new offerings. My first impression of =
the new Orion was "man, this thing is big". Much larger in size than I =
had envisioned. I didn't get the "this looks cheap" impression at all. =
As I sit here typing, my Del monitor has the same mat black finish =
others have said they didn't care for. To me it's not an issue. I =
questioned Scott about the dsp function and was informed that both dsp =
processors were active all the time, I had thought one might be =
dedicated to the subreceiver which is not the case. Like many others who =
have commented about the display screen I was not impressed. It looked =
like 15 year old technology. I think TT really missed the boat on this =
feature. They will sale many Orion's due to the receiver specs and =
unique features, but I feel those numbers will be far out weighed  with =
the number of radios not sold due to the mono screen. They had a chance =
to sweep the market with this rig, they could of converted all the high =
end jap rig users to TT gear. Especially now a days, I think virtually =
all hams were looking for a good radio/reason to buy American. A few =
more bucks invested in the display would have really set the new =
standard in ham radio for years to come. Maybe it's still not too =
late...we'll see.

I was really looking forward to checking out the new qrp rig. The rig =
looked like it would be fun, but again I feel they could of doubled =
future sales by not tacking on that extra 200 bucks. The look and feel =
of the rig made it seem a bit cheap. At $800 new I will wait for the =
used market to develop.=20

For what it's worth
Tim  K=D8FL

multipart/alternative