[TenTec] What's with the 526 (6N2)?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] What's with the 526 (6N2)?
From: ke4teg@bellsouth.net (KE4TEG)
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 21:07:28 -0400
Hello Larry,

I have had my TT-526 since December. What follows is not a review, but my
personal opinions and my experiences with the TT-526 rigs. I have actually
owned 2 of them. There was nothing wrong with the one I let go in a trade
for a 6 Meter amp (the amp was making me drool and my friend was drooling
over the TT-526). I have some general disappointments but they did not stop
me from buying the rig.

1) The rig does not have a PC to radio interface or a Ten-Tec remote
keypad/tuning knob option. To me this has two problems. You can not
directly enter a frequency. And two there is no way to use a PC to enter
frequencies, control the rig, interface with a logging program, or most
importantly backup and manage memory locations.

2) The tuning knob reminds me of what my cousin first said when they took
his M-14 and handed him an M-16 when he was already in county, "Plastic!
Was this cheap thing made in Japan?". Well I took the knob off an Icom-706
and now have a nice tuning knob. I will replace it with a TT-516 Argonaut V
tuning knob when they become available.

3) No built in keyer. I have a 555. I never even thought to ask if the 526
had a built in keyer. The old stand by Scout has one, so this great new DSP
rig surely comes with one. Wrong. Now I have to leave my Bencher behind and
drag my AC powered Ten-Tec keyer with me to mountaintops.

4) No sub master reset that is not a total reset. One step above wiping out
all the memory locations as a last resort (again back to no PC backup).

5) No external speaker jack for today's external type speakers (I like to
use my rigs mobile and can not hear the repeaters due to speaker location
and size).

Those are my five small disappointments. Like I said, not enough to keep me
from buying two TT-526s. But now for the very good new, solutions for most
of the issues:

1) I have not found a complete solution for this issue yet. But I have
learned to use the memory locations for direct frequency enter locations
and then just tune up a little or down a little. On CW & SSB you have to
fine tune them in anyway.

2) The Icom knob works well. The TT-516 Heavy-duty cast zinc main tuning
knob will make the rig all Ten-Tec again when available.

3) I have built a TICK-4 kit keyer and built it into the rig.
http://www.embres.com/tick.htm#kits

4) No solution available.

5) I use the rig audio out to drive a Sony 12vdc amplified speaker when I
use the rig on FM repeaters. I use a Heil headset for SSB.

So as you can see, I even found a way around most of my disappointments.
Now for the really good news. The rig has good receive and TX audio. I have
received very good signal reports. During the December and January Europe
openings, I was able to work anything I could hear which was more then some
people could even hear. As to birdies, all radios have them. I have found
one small one and it has never kept me from working stations so far. On Six
Meters local area AC power noise and intermod mistakenly gets labeled as
bridies. There are simple tests to prove if its the rig or the RF environment.

Now for the buried treasure. If you plan to do weak signal work or wish to
use higher UHF bands, then this is the rig for you. It is already to drive
your favorite UHF transverter right out of the box. This feature alone is
worth half the price of the rig for me.

I could go on but I am a little biased after having the rig during the big
6M openings and doing so well. I have used it is 5 contests already with no
complaints. For an in depth review, check out QST for they have already
reviewed the rig. November or October of 2001, I think. Lastly there is
always the 30 day trail period. If you do not like it, all it costs you is
shipping. And its not like shipping a Ten-Tec amplifier. You can ship it
insured for $12.

I made one last mod to my rig by replacing the 2 Meter SO-239 with an "N"
connector. Less loss at that freq and no way to put the wrong antenna on
the wrong transmitter.

And yes you can spent a few hundred more dollars and get a 160 through 440
rig. But the VHF and UHF in these rigs are a compromise at best in my
opinion. I have tried them and will take the TT-526 over them every time.
And lastly it is a Ten-Tec if that helps.

Good luck in making a 6N2 choice.

73 Keith
de KE4TEG