[TenTec] Bad Pegasus Audio Problem

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Bad Pegasus Audio Problem
From: jimr.reid@verizon.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 11:55:34 -1000
Hi,

This morning I had to do  quick switch from my few month old
Pegasus,  to my trusty Corsair II to work the CY9 on 15 meters.
Noticed a problem when listening to others on the Pegasus,
acting as VFO B and sub rcvr using the N4PY software along
with my RX-340.  The rcvd audio,  with the Peg as sub rcvr,
was so distorted,  could not be copied!

So,  I fired up the Corsair,  shorted it's antenna terminal,  and
put the output of my linear into the dummy load.  With all that
attenuation,  figured I could listen to the Pegasus transmit
audio on the Corsair safely.  Sure enough,  as soon as I
put the PTT down,  I heard noise about the area of the SSB
signal,  and when I spoke into the mike,  it sounded very
distorted,  fuzzy,  whatever.  No wonder the CY9 operator
would not come back to me.

Within a few minutes of switching the antenna and amp to
the Corsair,  I had the CY9 in the log!  And, yes,  I have the
remote 263 VFO for split operation using the Corsair.

So, any simple checks I might try before boxing up the Peg,
and returning it for Ten Tec service?  BTW,  the mike is
a Heil,  on the Corsair,  the mike gain is nearly full up,  but
on the Pegasus,  using the slider on the N4PY mike gain
slider,  the mike gain is only down at #1.  Any higher there,
and again,  a lot of noise on the transmitted audio (that was
before I found today's problem,  got rid of the noise by
putting the mike gain way down,  but today that and distortion
were very bad.

Now here is a kick:  I just went to WWVH,  right here on Kauai,
their AM audio sounds beautiful via both the 340 and the Peg
acting in dual rcv mode with A=B on 10.0 MHz.  So AM audio
"sounds" just fine on the Pegasus.  Stranger and stranger!
Tried 15 CW just now;  CW signals rcvd on the Peg sound
terrible!!  Mushy and distorted.  So seems the Peg is sick
for sure.

Any ideas??  Unfortunately,  my Peg manual has no circuit
description or diagrams,  unlike all the other TT manuals I
have had.  BTW,  the 340 is just fine; audio from the Corsair
sounds just fine if monitored via the 340,  as described the
other way around above.

73,  Jim  KH7M