[TenTec] NEWS FLASH - FIRST PIX INSIDE an ORION

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] NEWS FLASH - FIRST PIX INSIDE an ORION
From: jimr.reid@verizon.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 09:15:01 -1000
> It has inductors, ICs, capacitors, resistors, relays, PC boards,
> knobs and buttons.  So far it looks pretty basic to me!!

Yes,  appears to use relays for selecting the preselector band
pass filters.  The RX-340 uses diode switches; relays are
better for linearity's sake.  Relays "can" contribute to a higher
intercept point if the diodes they replace are not really
linear over a wide dynamic operating range.  Relay contacts
are linear,  hi!

Also note, perhaps two missing PC boards.  One where that
card is sitting,  lower left slot in the top right hand picture.
Maybe something missing in the space to the left of that one;
interesting.  At first I thought the card was "hiding" something,
but then saw the standoff's which would hold the missing board.

73,  Jim  KH7M