[TenTec] re: 60M - solution, BUY NEW GEAR (rant)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] re: 60M - solution, BUY NEW GEAR (rant)
From: khopper@uchicago.edu (Ken Hopper)
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 09:03:45 -0500
<rant>
In all the interesting and passionate discussion about 60M and vendors'
responsibility, I didn't see anyone say that TEN TEC STAYS IN BUSINESS BY
SELLING NEW EQUIPMENT.

It may come as a surprise to some that Chevy, Ford, Chrysler and other
automobile mfgrs don't stay in business by maintaining your old car - but
rather by moving NEW iron, aluminum, steel and plastic off their lots. Why
would you expect Ten-Tec to put any precious resources into old gear? I don't
believe the Ten-Tec Engineering group is paid by revenue generated by
designing upgrades for discontinued models.  Does anyone remember the "Packard
Bell" department store computers? where are the Gigahertz mods for those old
work horses? when did you last see a major upgrade for a Dell, Gateway or IBM
Laptop? probably you bought a NEW one instead.

If the OMNI-VI+ community has the energy to complain, how about putting that
energy into forming a new company that offers mods and upgrades for that
model? I don't believe you will find a lender that will believe your business
plan, but hey, give it a shot :-)

How about supporting a great AMERICAN company by purchasing one of their FOUR
NEW UPGRADABLE models (Pegasus, Jupiter, Argonaut-V, or Orion) that all have
the capability to be upgraded with many new features including new band
coverage.  That way Ten-Tec will stay in business a long time and continue to
offer us leading edge engineering and exceptional equipment value for our
hobby.  I for one feel very lucky to have the freedom to choose [vendors] and
I will demonstrate it with my wallet.
</rant>

my apologies to those I may have offended,
de ken n9vv
P.S. Another great American company, Elecraft, has announced the 60M upgrade
for the 100W K2 and possibly for the K1 see http://www.n9vv.com/k60x.html