[TenTec] Re: Titan III Color

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Titan III Color
From: btippett@alum.mit.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 12:24:33 +0100
K8MN wrote:

>I feel that you may miss out on a great transceiver because of your
thinking.  No wonder Scott didn't look happy.  How can he deal with
someone whose primary gripe about a product is its color?

        Well said Dave!  I am a relatively happy FT-1000MP owner who
will VERY seriously consider an Orion.  Why?  Because close-in IMDDR3
strong signal performance of the Orion is 18 dB better than my MP!
That means I can hear weak signals 18 dB below the MP in the next
160 contest or in the next howling 160 pileup with signals only a few
kHz away.  Do I really care what color the Orion is?  No way!  I am
totally amazed that Japan Inc has apparently dumbed-down some of us
to the point that we seem more concerned with cosmetics than fundamental
RX (and TX) performance.  I predict that the Orion will challenge
Japan Inc to actually start making better-performing radios rather
than their current focus on meaningless whistles and bells, cosmetics,
etc...time will tell.

        I say KUDOS to Ten-Tec for raising the bar with the following:

* the best (by FAR) strong signal receiver performance
* true diversity reception capability standard (no mods needed)
* user selectable keying characteristics (i.e. no more clicks!)
* excellent phase noise (TX and RX)
* ...and probably others I'm forgetting about at the moment

These are things that will make a real difference to me for both
reception and in having a clean transmit signal.  If someone decides
they don't want their Orion because its color scheme doesn't match
their shack interior, please let me know how much discount you'll
give me and I'll be happy to take it off your hands.  I normally
wait at least one year to buy any new product but the Orion is
unmercifully tempting me to order one now!

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV