[TenTec] Help with PTO rebuild...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Help with PTO rebuild...
From: N4NT@charter.net (Mike Hyder -N4NT-)
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 21:22:44 -0400
To do it properly you must disassemble it much further.  I suggest you await
the arrival of the kit and its instructions.  You will need to remove that
rear bushing ultimately, but again wait for the instructions.

About cleaning the old grease -- I have used both alcohol and Dawn
dishwashing liquid.  They both worked well but I think the dish soap did a
bit better.  You've got to get it rinsed off well and it is very important
to get every bit of foreign matter (like q-tip fibers) cleaned out before
you apply new grease.

Q-Tips are essential to clean the threads inside of the pistol.  Screw a
q-tip in and out a number of times.  I suggest that you get a baking sheet
or a pizza pan to keep your parts in so the little ball bearings won't get
away from you.  When I work near a sink, I keep the stopper in.  Not every
part in that PTO comes with the rebuild kit so don't lose any.

When I re-install that rear bushing, I seem to need a third hand.  My wife
helps with that.

It may be too late for this suggestion but it is a superb idea to mark the
feed-thru capacitors as to which color wire you unsolder from each one.  It
is harder than you might think to figure out which wire goes where from the
schematic.

73, Mike