[TenTec] 526 6N2 rig and 6 meter amp

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 526 6N2 rig and 6 meter amp
From: csegar@mindspring.com (Cliff Segar)
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 19:23:35 -0400
At 03:19 PM 8/13/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>I am considering selling my Scout and getting a 526 6N2 rig.
Considering the slope of the sunspots, that Scout might get a whole lot
more use in the next 5 years. Why not keep the Scout and buy 526?

>I'm sure I can work lots of grid squares with
>20 watts, but what if I want to up the SSB/CW power?
Visit <http://www.cpii.com/eimac/index.html> Especially look at the
3CX800A7. The 20w out of the 526 is perfect for 800w out.

>I don't need that much
>power, nor do I really want to draw 23 amps.
Use a 220vac supply?

Maybe you're only looking for that mysteriously magical 100w? 1 "S Unit" is
6db. That "brick amp" will only get you 9db over barefoot or 1.5 S Units.
My first contact with my 526 got my an S9 report. I came back telling him I
was running the TT rig at 20w and noticed the power control was full CCW. A
59 report on a single Es opening at a whopping 1~2w out. Skip the amp
unless you want to go contesting. Invest in a good 6M7JHV antenna at 40'
and LMR400 jumpers with LDF4-50 feed line. You will get far more for your
money from the antenna and feed than the amp. Go one better - run LDF5-50
to a 2M5WL for the 2m side of the rig. (Actually you can use the power on
2m far more than the 6m side.) The 6M7JHV & 2M5WL are available via special
request at your local candy store or direct from <http://www.m2inc.com/>

73 de KD4DT/EM74qa

"You manage things, you lead people. We went overboard on management and
forgot about leadership. It might help if we ran the MBAs out of Washington."
Rear Adm. Grace Murray Hopper