[TenTec] WGA or Heil for Scout

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] WGA or Heil for Scout
From: bstephens1@mindspring.com (robert k stephens)
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 11:59:25 -0400
Hi Duane,

The WGA headset sold by the Ten Tec outlet store is an English electret mic
 with a "broad rise in the mid to upper range and a smooth rolloff below
 500 Hz".  Sounds something like the HC -5 element doesn't it ?
 I imagine the WGA is higher gain than the Heil mics.

If I go with Heil for the Scout I'd like both the HC-5 and HC-4 . The
HC -5 is probably fine if you have a good signal (100 watts to a high
dipole or better)
but I've noticed that the weaker signals in a pileup that are easiest to
pick out (to my ears) are the ones with high frq boosted dx type audio.
 So I think an HC-4 will help my Scout's 50 watt mag mount mobile S3 signal
to stand out a little.

tnx & 73
Bob, KB1CIW