[TenTec] RC shaping was WGA or Heil for Scout

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RC shaping was WGA or Heil for Scout
From: bstephens1@mindspring.com (robert k stephens)
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 08:26:15 -0400
Well this thread has become more interesting than I expected.

I think I need to tell you more about what I want. I like nice audio. I
dislike 75% of the audio I hear on the ham bands and I am actually
impressed by no more than 5% of ham audio. I want to get my Scout's audio
somewhere in the top 25%.

I operate portable, alternate base and parked mobile. Mostly parked mobile.
Every time I operate I take the Scout out of the box, unwrap the bubble
wrap, do the same with the tuner, set up the Scout on the console, set up
the tuner on the floor, take the mag mount and whip out of the car's trunk,
assemble the antenna, connect coax to the tuner,(sometimes I skip the tuner
depending on the band and range of freq.),connect coax to tuner and then
connect the coax from the tuner to the rig ,connect mic and power supply
and  then I apply power and find out if all the connections and solder
joints are still tight. If I added an audio box, it would have to be on the
floor with the tuner because there is no room anywhere else. Do you see why
I would prefer either an internal mod to the Scout or one mic with 2 or 3
elements rather than connecting and disconnecting another box everytime I
decide to operate?

But maybe I would not be satisfied with a dual element Heil, perhaps I
would be happier with the flexibility of a box. If so, I'd like a good one.
I would want the "more complex circuits possible using some classic tone
control circuits" with separate treble and bass pots.

I own solder and soldering irons and multi meter but have never done
anything more than make a dipole and resolder loose connections in my HT. I
have never made a real kit. Although there are guys in my club who would
help me, I think an RF tight, tone control circuit with provision for dc to
the ten tec  mic or amp for other mics is *probably* beyond my skills. I
don't have a workbench in my small condo, so this project would be built on
the kitchen floor with help from my cat.

The W2IHY 2 band equalizer sells for $99 in kit form. It includes an amp
and noise gate. I think I could build that. Would this be significantly
better than  a dual element Heil mic? I am concerned about RF getting into
the audio through the equalizer - my mobile operation is probably not
perfectly RF tight.

So the options are:

a) attempt to build an RF tight tone control circuit with 2 pots as my 1st
project (on kitchen floor) and set it up on the car floor

b) build a 2 band EQ kit for my 1st  kit and set that up on the car floor

c) accept the limitations of a Heil 2 or 3 element mic without a separate
box on the floor

I'm eagerly awaiting Jerry's opinions but I also hope to hear from others
on this list as well.

tnx & 73
Bob, KB1CIW