[TenTec] Pegasus SMeter display

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus SMeter display
From: w5yr@att.net (George, W5YR)
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 09:42:46 -0500
In the real world, there isn't any . . . depends upon the make and model of
receiver and its design and the calibration and alignment of the particular
receiver.

We tend to use the 6 dB/S-unit as a convenience but it has no regulatory or
technical standing. Same situation as the "S9 = 50 uv" "standard." Both
have become urban myths based upon the calibration procedures that some
companies have used in the past.

With any given receiver, you will find variation of the S-9 calibration
point from band to band and even within a band. You will also find
variations in specific S-unit delta values over the signal range, and again
within a band and from band to band. Most amateur receivers will show more
S-meter activity at the low end of the scale - fewer dB per S-unit mark -
that at the mid and upper ranges.

Only expensive commercial and military receivers actually determine and
indicate the signal level at the antenna terminals and/or have scales
calibrated in software to deal with in-band and band-to-band calibration
variations.

There is probably nothing wrong with using the informally defined "S Unit"
of 6 dB as a convenient measure, but one should not expect any amateur
receiver to possess that actual calibration within and over all bands.

73/72/oo, George W5YR - the Yellow Rose of Texas
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13qe
Amateur Radio W5YR, in the 56th year and it just keeps getting better!
QRP-L 1373 NETXQRP 6 SOC 262 COG 8 FPQRP 404 TEN-X 11771 I-LINK 11735
Icom IC-756PRO #02121  Kachina 505 DSP  #91900556  Icom IC-765 #02437