[TenTec] Re: synthesizers was Omni C

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: synthesizers was Omni C
From: geraldj@isunet.net (Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, electrical engineer)
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 02:09:26 -0500
DDS can be good close in and when not stretched too far, but DDS is not
at all clean, there are so many spurs it usually takes a PLL (with the
attendant noisy VCO) to act as a spur filter. I'm going back to VCXO for
clean phase noise on my next 2m rig. Its under construction now, a kit
from Germany called Hohentwiel. Also has superb dynamic range and
reciprocal noise and S/N after detection by using crystal filters at
both ends of the single conversion IF.

73, Jerry, K0CQ
--
Entire content copyright Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, electrical engineer.
Reproduction by permission only.