[TenTec] Omni VI Plus freq. readout

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI Plus freq. readout
From: w9ac@arrl.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 21:40:04 -0400
> Oklahoma. About $70 and an hour's work later, I  had them installed. This
> change removed about 99.5% of the thermal drift resulting in better than
> spec'ed display accuracy.

I'll second that, including the upgrade to the TCXO.  Back in 1997, I
replaced both BFO crystals with a set from JAN in Fort Meyers, FL.  Only...I
was seeking to stabilize the Omni's microchirp problem.  After a series of
documented mods (they're in the reflector archives), including the change to
the JAN crystals resulted in perfect keying.

However, comparing the Omni's 1990 design against the ICOM PRO-II's 2001
design is a bit unfair.  Given the ten year product life-cycle of the Omni
6/6+, it's rather remarkable, really.

I sense that Ten-Tec's improvements were evolutionary...ICOM chooses to
correct their design problems by immediately releasing a new radio.

-Paul, W9AC