[TenTec] Vertical Ant. Question / Suggestion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Vertical Ant. Question / Suggestion
From: wn3vaw@fyi.net (Ron Notarius WN3VAW)
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 13:14:07 -0400
While Jim has a very valid point, one must remember that while most
verticals are 1/4 verticals (with or without traps, tuning stubs, or other
multi-band tuning methods), not all are.

Theoretically, a half-wave vertical (be it a center fed vertical dipole or
an end fed one) should not need (ie require) radials to work.  However, I
remember many, many moons ago bouncing this question off of Don W0DN, the
inventor of the Butternut HF#V verticals (and at the time owner of
Butternut) -- it was regarding Cushcraft's claims on the then-new R3
antenna -- and his response was to the effect that any end-fed vertical,
even ones at 1/2 or full wavelengths, would perform better with radials or
counterpoise at the base.  While I don't recall all of his reasoning (and I
think I still have the letter somewhere buried in the shack), I do recall
that shortly after, I did some experimenting with a borrowed R3 and found
this to be true.

73, ron wn3vaw

When asked "If you had been in President Clinton's place, would you have
resigned?",
Republican Member of the House of Representatives Dick Armey replied:

"If I were in the President's place, I would not have gotten a chance to
resign.  I would be laying in a pool of my own blood, hearing Mrs. Armey
standing over me saying, "How do I reload this damn thing?"