[TenTec] Re: Jupiter firmware problems...NOT! (SO!... )

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Jupiter firmware problems...NOT! (SO!... )
From: tongaloa@alltel.net (tongaloa)
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 14:12:43 -0400
That's a bad analogy. The updates are 'free' in the sense that I do not
have to pay any additional money for them.

Under the DMCA I can not legally reverse engineer TenTec's
SW in order to make a modification. I would have to rewrite the
whole mess from scratch! This is a severely limits my interest
in owning such a radio. Add a fee structure to updates that
I might like to make myself and share with other hams and I've
no interest in owning the radio.

Why should  "we as hams" expect "them" to continually
improve a radio once we've purchased it? We should be
doing this ourselves.

-Bob