[TenTec] Omni V Audio

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni V Audio
From: RMcGraw@Blomand.Net (Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX)
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 15:55:25 -0500
John:

My Omni VI+ gives about the same audio level as you describe, i.e. volume
control about 8 to 9 o'clock is very comfortable. I use an external speaker
which is in the power supply.   As to advancing the volume more and getting
a feedback, I'd suspect that you are using the internal speaker.  This
happens on my Paragon more so than on the OMNI VI+.  It's a mechanical
feedback path.  I've found that an external speaker generally solves the
problem.

Now, If the MONI control is turned up and you transmit and you have the
receiver VOL up, yes you'll get a feedback.  The TX audio is fed back to the
MONI pot which simply mixes it into the RX audio path.  As to the MONI
changing the tone, probably due to some phase cancellation in the electrical
plus acoustic path.  Haven't tried it, but wouldn't be surprised however.

Typically one should use headphones when using the MONI audio.  I keep mind
turned down because it doesn't tell me what I want to know.  The MONI point
is pre ssb modulator and all RF stages.

I wouldn't tamper with the audio gain.  If you want to tame it a bit, add a
6.8K 1/4W resistor between the AF MIN and AM GAIN on connector 55 on the
LOWER POT BOARD.  I think the OMNI V and VI+ are the same in this area.

73
Bob K4TAX