[TenTec] Re: Jupiter firmware problems...NOT! (SO!... )

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Jupiter firmware problems...NOT! (SO!... )
From: w5jay@alltel.net (Jay Bromley)
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 18:52:32 -0500
Gezz Walter-- nice to see you have the same old attitude on this reflector
as on QRP-L!   :-)

But Walt you can take this to the bank--- I have 7 hams that all own big
amps and beams within my neighborhood.  Three are on a hill-top over looking
down at my station.  I also have a AM broadcast station (KTCS) less that a
mile away, under modulation that would be around 4 KW plus pep.  My tower is
series resonate below 1700 KHz!  So my station gets a lot of RF!  The TenTec
RX-340 has been the best receiver to date here, not even the great Elecraft
K2 with the rippled up crystal filters was a match at this QTH!  I have a
Inraded TS-850s and it is no match either, still a great rig however, but no
cigar!  The TS-950 is now long gone Walt and I sold the Inrads that were in
it, I don't plan to go backwards unless it is a Omni 6 plus!  Then I will
invest in more Inrad stock, but the Orion will be first.

Walter I sure hope you negative comments influence some of the new Orion
owners, because I could sure use a cheap Orion.  I bet there will be one
here next spring away, hihi.

All Orion owners please, no pretty please note, remember me when you what to
(Well Walter knows) should be worth a $2k discount.  I will throw in all the
remaining filters I have.  Boy I have a bunch full in the draw here next to
me!!  Heck if you want the TS-850 you can have it along for the ride!

I still believe in good filters and rigs that use them, but Walter---- come
on, that was a dumb statement and you should know better!

So Walter what do you say is the best rig/receiver out there now??

73 de w5jay/jay..

> Companies .................... as " w " would say, operate FOR PROFIT not
> for customer satisfaction!
>
> ADVERTISING makes shit smell good :-) DSP radios are SHIT !!     PERIOD,
end
> of paragraph !!
>
> Hoopla about listening to PROGRAMMERS is just that , hoopla !
>
> You can't get within a newyork mile of a KILOWATT station with a DSP
radio,
> even if it has the name TENTEC on the front and back panel.
>
> What is an ORION ? Why it is a $3300 dollar PROFIT for TenTec that's what!
>
> What's inside you might ask .......................
>
> An OMNI-6 PLUS and PEGASUS , that's what ! With a NERD screen that does
> nothing for transmit or receive ! Will that be a wining combination, will
> the NERDS buy, Christmas will tell. This is a venture into the UNKNOWN
> ............... is the display more important that the GUTS
> ah, MARKETING !!
>
> Walt Amos K8CV Royal Oak, MI.

WORSE.
> > Things like releasing three updates that have to be quickly reversed due
> > bugs doesn't help reduce that perception... and since anyone can browse
> the
> > Ten-Tec elist this is very public to potential purchasers like most hams
> who
> > are willing to do a little bit of research.
> >
> > My suggestion (and it is only a suggestion) is that it would behoove
> Ten-Tec
> > to visibly show an increased commitment to QC by having at least a
> six-month
> > window where QC was emphasized AND Ten-Tec publicly touted the proof of
> this
> > (percent of returns for QC problems decreasing from x% to y%).  Remember
> > Ford's big slogan "Quality is Job #1" after they got beat up for
numerous
> > design and manufacturing defects?
> >
> > Again, I like Ten-Tec, and I do plan to buy a new rig (maybe more than
> one)
> > from them in the near future... but I want them to be around to support
> it!
> > That means all those fence-sitting hams who aren't sure whether Ten-Tec
is
> > the way to go need to be convinced... and I am convinced that improving
QC