[TenTec] Omni VI calibration...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI calibration...
From: RMcGraw@Blomand.Net (Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX)
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 09:17:57 -0500
The best I can determine using a Stamford Research counter the drift on my
Omni VI+ is less than 10 Hz over an hour of extended operation either PSK or
RTTY.  I've never observed more than this.  Even running RTTY at 50 watts
out for extended periods, there's no more than 10Hz.  Actual frequency
readout error may be slightly greater than 10 Hz but certainly not more than
20 Hz.  Of course last digit resolution is limited to 10Hz.  I don't see how
one could expect to be closer than that with the given hardware.

As to PSK operation, use the software AFC and don't lock the TX freq.
Problem solved.  And then, how does one know that the other station isn't
moving?

As to using another rig, most today don't have frequency readouts closer
than 10Hz.  Folks this is ham radio.......it's a hobby.  The Stamford
Research counter that I have costs more than 3 Omni VI+ 's combined.  It
easily reads to better than 0.01 Hz all the way to 1 GHz.  Also the Rhode
Schwartz receiver that I use for professional work is far superior to all
ham receivers.  It concurs with my findings.

Most rigs I've measured have at least the same or more drift than the Omni.
In many cases however, the drift characteristics are different.  As to using
the IC-706, the 2 that I've measured, I best not comment on the accuracy or
drift characteristics.  At the same time, the 706 is a good economical
radio.

73
Bob K4TAX

P.S.  For what it's worth, I repair radios.......... as a hobby of course.