[TenTec] Omni VI Plus freq. readout

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI Plus freq. readout
From: AC5E@aol.com (AC5E@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 16:10:22 EDT
Except for a few rigs with a built in frequency counter, I haven't found ANY
rig that's on its indicated frequency. Most rigs are within 7-10 ppm, a few
have been within 2-3 ppm, but they have all been more or less "off."

I don't have a "professional" counter but my ears say the crystal calibrator
is within 2 Hz of WWV at 10 mHz, the B&K I do have says the calibrator is
dead on, and that all three of my VI's, one plus and two option 3's, are rock
solid and within perhaps 30 Hz of the indicated transmit frequency.

Of course, besides the direct method of transmitting and checking the
frequency, you can hook a counter up to the speaker, tune in WWV in CW mode,
and check the audio frequency over time. This is a pretty solid check of
receive frequency stability as well.

I sure wish Izzy had gone some other way. I'd be at the 'fest.

73  all   Pete Allen  AC5E