[TenTec] DSP vs. Compass

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] DSP vs. Compass
From: n9dg@yahoo.com (Duane Grotophorst)
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 11:05:08 -0700 (PDT)
--- Dan N7NMD <n7nmd@arrl.net> wrote:

> All that's good and well to increase sales, but
> given a choice, I would
> *MUCH* rather have a lower ppm frequency accuracy
> rating than a compass
> or a 128 bit dsp chip. It's just more useful.

I must disagree; I take the "128bit" DSP comment to
also mean a high number of A to D conversion bits as
well. In that case the whole issue of ppm
stability/accuracy can be made completely moot. If the
DSP code is written effectively it can track whatever
single-frequency signal of interest you desire. And if
the 128bit DSP along with 64+ bits of A to D become a
reality you could probably monitor/analyze/listen to
dozens of discrete signals all at the same time and
then watch all those 756Pro's, 1000MP xyz's etc weave
about those few hertz relative to each other.

Now as for the compass, I agree. Have to wonder about
a 128 bit compass though, but then that's a topic for
some other reflector.

Duane
N9DG