[TenTec] New Computer Coming

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] New Computer Coming
From: jmalloy@stny.rr.com (Joe Malloy)
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 19:49:25 -0400
< Ok,  not sure this is the best place to ask,  but,
> I have a new machine on order from Gateway.
> Old unit is getting close to end of life,  and I want
> to replace it before some relay or the disk fails.
> Has happened to me twice in the past -- a few
> years ago,  so probably nearing that time again.

Egads, sounds like you have had some bad luck.  In 20 years of computing,
I've had one hard disk fail (about 7 years ago) and I had a backup of that
disk anyway.  Of course, disks were smaller back then, sonny....

> Anyway,  I also have an external iOmega hard disk
> drive to which I can send everything on the present
> computer -- my N4PY Pegasus/RX-340 program,
> BeaconSee,  propagation predictors, Logic 6 logging
> program, and all else,  including Norton's System
> Works 2002.  My present computer does have
> the earliest of USB ports,  and that is what the iOmega
> is connected to.
>
> Now,  can I just connect this external drive to an input
> port on the new computer and feed in all my applications?
> The coming new machine has the newer,  faster Type 2
> USB ports,  so ought to read in the applications on this
> external back-up drive just fine,  I hope!

Backwards compatible.  In other words, yup -- in fact, you don't even have
to install any of Iomega's software (though it's probably a good idea; some
of the feature (spin down, backups, protection of disks etc.) is quite
useful.

> Also,  many of my  "Favorites" list on the present IE browser
> I am sure have included "cookies" on my drive and various
> passwords are "remembered";  would these also be correctly
> transferred to the new machine?

Yup, just move the folder (that's the Applified term) or subdirectory (old
Microsoftian term) called "Favorites" -- If you're running Win9x or Me, I
believe the Favorites folder is in the "Windows" subdirectory; place the
copy of it in the appropriate place on your new machine (if you're getting
WinXP Home version, that's in "Documents and Settings" and under the log-in
name you're using (probably just going to be "Owner").

> Bunch of questions,  hope this method described will be
> a straight forward way to get the whole new machine up
> and running and correctly set up to move right on from
> where I leave off with the old computer.  New unit
> should be out here to Kauai by mid-next week.

Just think, when you get it, it'll only be 1 year out of date!  (True for
all computer purchases!)  Good luck.

73,

Joe, W2RBA