[TenTec] Orion: SDR info F.Y.I.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion: SDR info F.Y.I.
From: n9vv@wideopenwest.com (Ken Hopper - Amateur Radio N-9-V-V)
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 10:10:16 -0500
Many of us are taking the time between radios <g> to learn about
software
defined radios "SDR". There are some great materials at the ARRL
website.  I
would like to call your attention to these excellent resources;

QEX Magazine - an outstanding publication that is often overlooked by
the
casual operator. QEX has carried very stimulating and interesting
articles
about digital signal processing "DSP" and "SDR" in the past year or so.
QEX is
NOT just VHF/UHF/EHF wizards and their dishes :-)  If you are a new
subscriber
(like me) you might want to order several back issues that have actual
experimental radios explained in detail by their authors and
inventors.   Fill
your mind with this fantastic (and free) info.
     http://www.arrl.org/qex/   -  note who the editor is :-)
Next are the articles that are stored as part of the Technical
Information
Service "TSI". Some of these are written by our Ten-Tec guru Doug Smith
KF6DX.
There is a tutorial that has some intimidating math, but nevertheless
reading
it gives you a great appreciation for the complexities of the new ORION
and
other SDR radio designs. Whew! this stuff is pretty awesome.

The Index to the SDR info in the TSI database
     http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/sdr.html

Signals, Samples, and Stuff: - a DSP Tutorial Part I by Doug Smith KF6DX
     http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/98qex003.pdf

Signals, Samples, and Stuff: - a DSP Tutorial Part II by Doug Smith
KF6DX
     http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/98qex022.pdf

Signals, Samples, and Stuff: - a DSP Tutorial Part III by Doug Smith
KF6DX
     http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/98qex013.pdf

Signals, Samples, and Stuff: - a DSP Tutorial Part IV by Doug Smith
KF6DX
     http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/98qex019.pdf

Then there is the ARRL "Software Defined Radio Working Group"  SDRWG and
their
outstanding paper Report of the Software Defined Radio Working Group -
from
July of 2002
     http://www.arrl.org/announce/reports-0207/sdr.html

It is clear to me that we are on the threshold of some really ROCKin'
new
capabilities. The Pegasus/Jupiter, Orion and Argonaut-V are examples of
the
innovation and engineering excellence that is possible from the creative
and
well disciplined engineering minds at Ten-Tec. I believe we are past the
"proof of concept" stage and now into the commercialization of these
affordable and powerful new technologies. Our new ORION's will be the
foundation for pushing out to whole new horizons.

Please join me in celebrating these advances in the state of the art in
our
great hobby Ham Radio,

de ken n9vv