[TenTec] Receivability

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Receivability
From: ku4qd@earthlink.net (Caitlyn Martin)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 15:43:16 -0500
Hi, George,

> I have found that being able to either bodily move the passband, as in
> IF Shift, or being able to independently place each slope of the
> passband, as I can with the PRO, to be much more effective than just
> narrowing the filter.

While I agree that PBT and/or IF Shift are extremely valuable, on SSB
especially I find the bandwidth to be critical.

> You might want to look into a *good* audio DSP filter to use with your
> 817.

Actually, I no longer have the FT-817.  I much prefer the Tokyo Hy-Power
HT-750 for portable operation for a number of reasons.  Yes, it's only
three bands, but a true handheld, albeit a big one, suits me much
better.  For people considering the FT-817 you should count on the after
market W4RT dual filter option as a necessity.  Of course, it adds $300
to the cost of the rig, but it's worth it to have the better Collins
filter on SSB as well as a good CW filter.

> I have the JPS NIR-12 and it is superb for CW as well as NR and all
> the other fancy stuff. Not made anymore, but if you can find a used
> one, it is worth its weight in gold.

Agreed.  The JPS NIR-12 is brilliant, and I do recommend it for any
older (pre-DSP) rig.  It was made right here in North Carolina, too, for
the purists who want an all American-made shack.

73,
Caity
KU4QD