[TenTec] Rcvr so-called performance figures (lo-o-ong)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Rcvr so-called performance figures (lo-o-ong)
From: AC5E@aol.com (AC5E@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 10:01:40 EST
Hi: It should be clearly understood that everyone's bird dog is the best.
Even the dog that won't hunt.  And any statement that seems to imply that
anyone else's bird dog is "better"  is a slap in the face to the dog's owner.
 Who promptly gets really huffy about it.

The same thing applies to cars, girl friends, rigs, and just about anything
else you care to name.  Opinions being what they are, the only real way to
decide the issue is to put the items in question up against each other and
let the best one win.

The rankings you take exception to are the consensus of the forty or so hams
who have participated in local rig shootouts over the last decade or so. I
missed the last two, but the FT1000D won both, the Omni VI and + won a dozen
or so over the 1000 before that, etc..

That's does not say your  pet "Mark VII Superblaster" is not a good rig.  But
it didn't beat either the Omni VI+ or the FT1000D where it counts. In a head
to head  comparison under rough conditions.

Popularity is more a matter of number of dealers, advertising, and price than
actual performance. And in a popularity contest the Omni's have two serious
strikes against them. They are factory direct only and they are single
recieve. I let the word out that I have an Orion on order, and a dozen hams
want a shootout as soon as it comes in.  So we will see what we will see, in
due course.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E